Friday, March 16

Making Lemonade

Well, my maternity leave is almost over.  And it's ending much earlier than I had expected (due to some misunderstanding on management's behalf... which I'm none too happy about).  I received a phone call on Monday (the 12th) telling me I had to return to work on Thursday (March 15th), although my manager and I had originally agreed to a return-to-work date of Monday, March 26.  Nothing like a good three days' notice.  There are a few things wrong with that scenario:

a) My job?  Hate-hate-double-hate-loathe-entirely.
b) Having to leave my daughter at a complete stranger's house for 10 hours a day?  Not a fan.
c) I reaalllly don't want to go back to work at all.
d) Did I mention I can't stand my job?

After a wee bit o' negotiation, we agreed that I could return to work on Monday, March 19.  Still a week earlier than I had originally planned on, but whatever.  So this week was chock-full of scrambling around, trying to get Sol to happily take a bottle, searching for daycare with ONE WEEK'S NOTICE.

And conveniently (sarcasm), as I'm preparing to go back to work, there are some pretty rad things happening.  For starters, my Sol is just starting to respond to people (aka social smiling).  Annnnd it's pretty much the sweetest thing I've ever witnessed.  Don't you agree?

Secondly, the weather lately has been balmy and tropical and fabulous.  I'm not one for winter weather, and I'd move to SoCal in a heartbeat, so naturally the sunny, high-70's weather was a real treat for us.  And for some reason it had to come the last week that I was off work.  Boo.

My mom is always telling me, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."  Going back to work is a real lemon.  Thank you, life.  And it's not just a lemon.  Going back to work is a really rank-smelling, moldy, leaky, festering, brownish, hairy, lemon/Brussels sprout hybrid.  Try to make some lemonade out of THAT.  *shudder*  But I'll do my best.

Lemonade #1: I'm happy that I'm healthy enough to go back to work. 
Lemonade #2: I'm happy that my daughter is healthy enough to go to daycare.
Lemonade #3: If anything, this is just more incentive to find a different, more flexible, more considerate job.  I'm open to ideas, so if you've got one, send it my way!
Lemonade #4: Even if I only get one week of hot, sunny weather during my maternity leave, I'm thankful for that one week.  And I'll soak it up while it's here.  And I'm thankful that I have a beautiful park right-smack-dab in my backyard, with 8 miles of trails to stroll down with my Sol.  Which is exactly what we did this week.  And given the beautiful weather, there were hundreds of people there, walking/jogging, biking, rollerblading, swinging, picnicking, playing catch... it was heaven.  And I may or may not have glared at each perfectly-primped stay-at-home mom walking the trails with their babies (why should they get to have all the fun?).  But again, just more incentive to find a way to work and enjoy weekdays in the park with my baby girl.  But at this point we have just a few more days together and we're going to enjoy them :)

There, 4 glasses of lemonade from that awful lemon I call "going back to work."  That's... that's all I can come up with.

The park in my backyard :)

All dressed for our walk!

We were WAY overdressed... thank goodness for layers!

My drink of choice.  Too appropriate.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment