Monday, June 10

ONE MORE TRIP AROUND THE SUN: BIRTHDAY #26

SOLAR REVOLUTION #26: COMPLETED.

Have I had my fill of perfect days yet?  I guess not.  I celebrated my yesterday, and it was nothing short of a perfect day.

All I really needed was Sol, cake, and some beer, and I would have chalked it up as a fine birthday.  But then life stepped in and threw in some more of my favorite people, some hand-picked flowers, a vegetarian lunch, and the most perfect environment under the most perfect sky.  And somewhere in that mix, my birthday morphed from fine to grand.  A grand birthday indeed.

I was surprised when my mom and grandmother popped on down to SW Michigan to help me celebrate, their presence taking an already-wonderful weekend and magnifying the wonderfulness by about 1000x. 

No birthday of mine would be complete without having my friend Jonathan by my side.  I met this guy in high school, in our little ol' high school across the state.  We share the same [otherwise rather uncommon] last name, though we are of no close relation.  We also share the same birthday.  This has allowed for many a fabulous birthday bash over the years, as I'm sure you can imagine.

For birthday lunch yesterday, I chose to eat at Bell's Eccentric Cafe in downtown Kzoo.   Not only do they brew their own beer (I was sold at "beer"), but Bell's has an awesome menu that boasts some magnificent vegetarian options.  They also have their Beer Garden, an outdoor seating area that's grassy, lush and botanical, and fenced in to provide the very best romping space for a few 1-yr-old babies.

On that hot June afternoon, we seven adults celebrated in the very best way by eating the very best food and drinking the very best beer, watching three tiny people enjoy their new-found freedom, rolling through the cool grass and, every so often, letting out a giggle to end all giggles.  In pure celebration mode, we sat around a weathered green picnic table beneath the shade of a lofty tree, protected from the brilliant sun perched just perfectly in the bluest sky I've ever seen.  We watched two tiny lady-cousins squeal with delight, hugging and kissing each other as if they were two old lady-cousins greeting each other after 50 years of separation.  We watched couples and families glowing, just as we were, with the satisfaction of one more perfect Sunday afternoon-- one more day that tops all other days.

If my birthday wish had been for a glimpse of heaven on earth... by Jove, I think that wish was granted.

pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name
pic name pic name

pic name pic name
pic name pic name


The following mug shots brought to you by
"Birthday Thief -- stealing menus and taking names."

(walked out with the menu... don't worry, I returned it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment