Thursday, January 31

WINNING THE HEARTS OF THE CARNIVORES

It's sort of a joke around my workplace that I'm a vegetarian/borderline-vegan.  And, to boot, I'm a borderline-vegan who likes to get up on her veggie soapbox every so often and try to win the hearts of the carnivores.  I like to bring them bits and pieces of a vegan diet.  You know, just to show them that we vegans eat yummy food too.

It doesn't help that most of my workday meals look like this: 
[yeah, that's basically a blended salad]

broccoli, apple, pear, and some carrot... mmmmm....


And then there are days when I bring in leftover Tofurky, and they all want to spit it out immediately [hey, gotta give 'em credit for even trying it].

But then there are days where I bring in yummy cookies or teeny-tiny pies, or cakes.  And they forget all about the Tofurky.  And all of a sudden they want to be The Vegan's friend again.

And normally, I would say "nay-nay" to such fair-weather friends.  But I'm so happy to share my egg-less, dairy-less vegan delicacies, I don't even care that they only like me for my cookies.  [They like me for my jokes too, by the way.  I bring cookies and laughter 'round these parts.]

Yesterday, for example, I brought in the very best vegan cookies I've ever made.  Now hear this: I am not always a fan of everything I make.  I have been known to turn my nose up at a batch of cookies here and there.  But these cookies? Phenom.

And you don't have to make them just because they're vegan... I think we've all been in a situation where we've had a hankering for cookies, but we're out of a) eggs, b) butter, or c) [gasp!!] both eggs and butter.  These cookies are a delicious and quick fix.  I'm not saying these babies are healthy... I'm only saying they're vegan.  They're chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside and ohmigosh so good.  Enjoy :)

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies


  • 1-1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 6 tablespoons soy milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I used M&M's, which are not vegan, but close enough in my book)

Directions


  • In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  • Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.

(recipe courtesy of Taste of Home)

No comments:

Post a Comment