Wednesday, December 12

FINISHING LAST

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.  -- Max Ehrmann's Desiderata
I've run a few road races in my day.  Never have I crossed the finish line first (nope, I'm not FloJo), but I've never finished last either.  That's always a great comfort to me during a race.  I've always been lucky enough to look back and see people behind me.  And during every single race, I think: Someone has to finish last...  Luckily, I've never experienced being the very last person to cross the finish line.  What must that feel like?

Better question: why should it matter?

That's the human condition, isn't it?  Validating yourself by comparing your life to the lives of others?  Reality check: no matter what's going on in your life, someone will have it "better," and someone will have it "worse."  It's pointless to compare your life to someone else's.  Even if you think you've got it bad, keep your chin up.  Sure, life may be going a bit more sweetly for someone else, but I guarantee that someone else is experiencing a worse time than you.

Quit calculating the value of your own life by looking around you.  Don't look around, and don't look back.  Keep looking ahead, and you're sure to see a smooth road.  Even if you appear to be finishing last, at least you're finishing the race.  No matter how slowly you're running, you're going faster than the person sitting on the sideline.  As long as you're making an effort, that's all that matters.


1 comment: