Saturday, October 13

TRIPLE THREAT QUINOA PANCAKES





These pancakes are amazing.

1. They're vegan pancakes.  VEGAN PANCAKES.  Um, sign me up.
2. They're packed with protein.
3. They're super easy!

Triple threat?  Yes indeed.

And so
            so
               so
                  GOOD.

A few years ago, I read the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (which also happens to be one of my favorite books).  In this book, McDougall mentions eating Mexican pancakes made out of cooked rice.  I was intrigued, and I've always wanted to try making them.  Rice is sort of an "empty" food, so I decided to use protein-rich quinoa, considering all its nutritional benefits.

Today: SUCCESS!  They're delicious, healthy, and will keep you feeling energized and full all morning long.  The recipe turned out perfectly on my first try (not always the case).  Woot woot.

(Side note: these can easily be made gluten-free by using a GF flour like rice flour or buckwheat flour).

Triple Threat Quinoa Pancakes

1 c. cooked quinoa
1/2 c. applesauce (can use banana, but there will be a definite banana flavor)
3/4 c. flour
1 c. water
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 flax egg (see recipe HERE)
1 t. vanilla
1 scoop protein powder (optional)

1.  Prepare quinoa.

2.  Blend all ingredients - you can use a hand mixer, food processor, or blender (I used my Ninja because I LOVE MY NINJA).

3.  Pour out into pancakes (whatever size you want) onto a greased pan over medium heat.  Flip after 2-3 minutes; grill 2-3 minutes on the other side.

4.  Serve warm with butter/margarine and maple syrup.  Enjoy!  

(makes about 8 pancakes)

**You can make a double batch of these and store the leftovers in the refrigerator, to be warmed up throughout the week.**



1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try quinoa. This looks fantastic. Maybe I will throw some pumpkin in too and have pumpkin quinoa pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete