Wednesday, October 17

SUPREMELY AWESOME CUPCAKE (FOR ONE)

So in my post from earlier today, I mentioned the cupcakes that changed my world yesterday.  In the last 5 hours, I've gotten about 18 messages from people asking for the recipe.

I'd like to say it's my own recipe, but I need to give credit where credit is due.
I got it from Chocolate-Covered Katie, whose blog is ahhhh-maaaaa-zing and features strictly vegan desserts that are TO DIE FOR.  I stalk it on a semi-daily basis.  You should too.

HERE is the link to her Single Lady Cupcake, which makes exactly one cupcake in about 15 minutes.  Seriously.  A fresh cupcake in 15 minutes?  Sweet heaven.

So yes, this is vegan, but DON'T let that scare you away. There are no scary ingredients here.  And I promise you will have everything that you need (I used soy milk, but you can use regular milk or water, if you want, silly!).  And the final product is absolutely delicious.

And yes, this recipe makes one cupcake.  But if you're having a bad day, you can double (or triple, ahem) the recipe.

I made three flavors: one vanilla, one confetti cake (just added rainbow sprinkles), and one chocolate (see recipe HERE).  I whipped up my own frosting using margarine and powdered sugar.  I garnished the confetti cupcake with some sprinkles, and dusted the top of the chocolate cupcake with some coffee grounds (devil's food flavor).  YUM.





See her recipe below (I edited the ingredient list just slightly; to see the original recipe, click the link above):


Single Lady Cupcake
(makes just one cupcake)
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/16-1/8th tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp applesauce, oil, pre-melted margarine 
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp liquid (milk of choice or water)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
Directions: Preheat the oven to 330 degrees. Mix the ingredients and pour into an oiled (or sprayed) muffin pan. Smooth top of batter. Cook for 12-15ish minutes. Alternatively, you can cook in the microwave, in a greased mug or ramekin. (Microwave times will vary, depending on the flour you use and the strength of your microwave.
Notes on flour: If you use whole-wheat pastry or spelt flour for cupcakes, you’ll get a denser (more muffin-like) cake. Still delicious! White flour and Bob’s gluten-free also work. I wouldn’t recommend plain whole-wheat flour. (Also, be warned if you’ve never done fat-free baking: subbing all the oil in a recipe for applesauce will give you a gummier result. Once again, still delicious, but much denser than your traditional cupcake with oil.)



2 comments:

  1. Mel~~What did you use to make the chocolate one and how much ?? I'm going try make 'em this wkend Thanks Sallie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sallie, the chocolate cupcake recipe is from Chocolate Covered Katie: link is http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/19/single-serving-mocha-chocolate-cake/
      only, without the coffee granules. and you can put it in the microwave, but you can also bake it (like I did).

      Delete