Wednesday, October 3

Straight Up [Graham] Crackers

Sometimes I'm all about graham crackers.

I eat 'em plain.

I eat 'em dipped in Silk soymilk.

I eat 'em dipped in a one of my favorite dips, like Cookie Dough Dip or Key Lime Pie Pudding.  

I eat 'em and then turn into a twelve-fingered, two-headed monster... because of all the whacked-out ingredients.  Seriously, have you ever looked at the nutritional info on the back of a box of graham crackers?  I mean, you expect to find weird stuff in something like Mountain Dew or Fritos.  But these are graham crackers, folks.  GRAHAM. FLIPPIN. CRACKERS. And also, if they contain honey, they're not really 100% vegan.

And if I'm going to pair them with some sort of fabulously tasty (yet healthy) dip like one of the two I mention up above, why would I go with a hydrogenated-artificial flavor-crap hybrid?


Easy.  I won't.  I'll find something better.

Like the graham crackers I made last night (recipe below).  They're not uber-sweet, so if you like your crackers a little more sweet than bland, add some more sugar to the mixture itself, and definitely sprinkle some sugar on the top during the last few mins of baking.  I didn't do that, and they turned out exactly how I wanted them to... not overly sweet.  And fyi: this may be the ONE exception to the "every-baked-good-tastes-best-straight-out-of-the-oven" rule, but I'm telling you to wait at least 30 mins before eating one of the crackers... the harder/crispier they get, the better they taste.  Just trust me on that. 

So anyway, today I'm enjoying some fresh, straight up graham crackers with my coffee.  Jealous? 




Straight Up Crackers (the vegan, non-crap kind)

Makes about 30 3×3″ Crackers

2 1/2 Cups Graham Flour or Whole Wheat Flour (I used whole wheat)
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Vegan Margarine
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Agave Nectar (or a little more sugar mixed with water)
3/4 Cup Water

1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. Cream together margarine and sugar.  Add vanilla and agave and beat until smooth.
3. Add a little of the flour and a little of the water to the margarine/sugar mixture and combine. Continue adding in flour and water, a little at a time, until all flour and water is added.
4. Work the dough with your hands until everything is evenly combined.
5. Divide dough in half and cover. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
6. Roll out the dough into a rectangle and trim edges. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares or rectangles (I cut mine into squares - about 3" x 3"). Prick the squares with a fork.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 325ยบ F or until the crackers are turning golden brown around the edges. You can sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of the crackers during the last 10 minutes of baking if you like.
 

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me to do all this baking...and almost make me want to go vegan. However, I can't see that going over well in my house. I am hesitant for the price tag on these items too. :(

    ReplyDelete