Wednesday, August 29

[Chocolate] Shake, Shake, Shake, Senora

Do you know who Harry Belafonte is?  It's okay if you don't; not everyone does.  I know who he is.  Muahahaha.  I fancy his songs.  I'm also partial to the movie Beetlejuice (and if you've seen it, you know why now).

Sol has this awesome little Eric Carle elephant toy.  We call him Harry Elafante, in honor of the original Mr. B.  Yep, Sol will be a hardcore Harry fan someday.  Woot woot.

One of my favorite songs is "Jump in the Line."  Tell me you don't want to hop on down to Barbados and drink a pina colada straight from a coconut when you hear that song.  (I do.)

***

I digress.

***

As promised in my last post, I will tell you all about the most amazing chocolate shake you will ever have the pleasure of tasting.  Imagine, if you will, heaven in chocolate form.   Sort of a Wendy's Frosty-esque concoction, drizzled into a glass, fluffy and frozen, oozing with cocoa-laden goodness.  And prepare yourselves, for we are now embarking on a pictoral chocolatey journey.  Fasten your seatbelts.  (side note: I apologize for the poor picture quality; I've misplaced the charger to my actual camera and have had to use my phone.  if, per chance, you've seen my charger, please send it my way.  thanks.)

It starts with a Ninja.  It is only possible because of the Ninja. 


Line up all your ingredients.  Ready?  Line em up.  Do it.  Otherwise it won't turn out quite right.  We're talking bananas, cocoa, madness, soy milk, nut butter, sweetener.  The works.





This is a chocolate shake.  A shake.  That's frozen.  Therefore, you need something frozen.  Grab some ice and some frozen 'naners (I ALWAYS have hunks of banana in a Ziploc bag in my freezer, for occasions such as this).


Frozen bananas belong in the Ninja.  Throw 'em in.  Pa-chow.


Why, hello, Trader Joe.  You brought cocoa.  Excellent.  Just what I asked for.  That's right, a spoonful of cocoa.  Or two spoonfuls.  How racy are you feeling?


If you've got a sweet tooth (which I do; I've been meaning to get that looked at), you'll want to add some sweetener.  Sugar, agave nectar, maple syrup, liquid stevia, Pixie sticks, whatever you've got on hand.  Pour it in. 


And the fluffy texture owes itself to butter.  NUT BUTTER.  Any kind of nut butter, but almond is best.  All I had on hand was peanut butter (which is fine, but make it natural; none of that JIF crap, I'm warning you). 


Then things get realllllly crazy... do you know what fresh, fresh, FRESH cinnamon tastes like?  I do.  I got this giant bag from work.  I add cinnamon to make the shake sort of spicy.  Bazinga.



It's time for the Ninja to do work.  Whip it.  Whip it good.  Ohhhhhh yeah.



Tell me that doesn't look absolutely and positively mouth-watering.




This shake was borne by a stroke of luck, so I don't have an actual recipe.  But I will do my best:

1 c frozen ripe banana (the riper, the better)
1 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder/cacao powder/carob powder
2 Tbsp nut butter (again, almond works best)
3/4-1 c milk (you can use any milk, but if you're going for vegan, choose a non-dairy milk, por favor)
1-2 Tbsp sweetener (sugar/agave/etc)
a few ice cubes - for pizzazz
a dash of cinnamon (optional, not for everyone)

Step 1: Blend it all up.
Step 2: Prepare to be amazed.
Step 3: Consume and enjoy.

If they were serving these on a beach somewhere, I'd jump in the line.  Stat.  Try it; you'll be glad you did.

Oh, and it's vegan!  But I won't tell if you won't :)





1 comment:

  1. I love cinnamon and chocolate. Cinnamon hot chocolate is actually one of my favorite things in winter time!! :)

    ReplyDelete