Thursday, May 17

A Beautiful Mess

Many people have asked where "MiniMon" came from.  Long story short, I was so stricken with morning sickness in the beginning of my pregnancy that I joked that the thing growing inside me couldn't possibly be human, and must be some sort of a monster (perhaps I was reading too much Twilight).  I affectionately referred to Baby Bierlein as "Mini Monster," which eventually just became  "MiniMon."  The day after Sol was born, actually, I remarked to my mom that I was suddenly hungry, and I couldn't remember the last time I actually felt hungry.  Yep, 9 months free of hunger pangs (which would have been a very successful diet if I hadn't been pregnant!).

So now Sol is here, and I'm almost always hungry (an unfortunate state of being).  Pregnancy is a distant memory, but my life is still anything but back to normal.  Chaos.  Pure chaos.  Go, go, go, from morning till night.  She's just starting to sleep for 5-6 hour stretches on a regular basis (THANK GOD), but still I haven't gotten a full 8 hours of sleep in I-don't-know-how-long.  I get us ready for the day, drop her at daycare, head to work, consider pulling my hair out for 8 hours, pick her up from daycare, take care of things at home, take care of Sol, [maybe] eat dinner, and go to bed.  Whatta day.  Babies certainly know how to upset a routine.

No, she's not a monster.  Even though her hair will never lie flat, and she's constantly drooling.  Her fist finds its home in her mouth for about 95% of her waking hours, and her eyes go crossed every so often (not a big deal, according to her doctor).  Every so often her angry shrieks are pretty monstrous, and some other noises that erupt from her seem anything but human... but she's everything to me.  She's mine.  My beautiful, wonderful baby girl.  These are the best days of my life.  And while my  life may feel like pure chaos sometimes, nothing feels better than to come home to THIS every day.  She is one beautiful mess.




No comments:

Post a Comment