Thursday, April 19

Peace and Quiet... Yuck.

I'm getting settled into my new place, loving it a little more every day. I'd like to say that I miss my old casa. But I do not. Nope, not even a little bit. I do not like the Walnut Trail. I wouldn't like it in a pail, with a snail or with a tail. I do not like the Walnut Trail.
My former residence had just one advantage to where I'm now living. I had some sort of television reception there. Don't get me wrong. I DO NOT watch a lot of TV. Hear this: no one living in my household is going to just sit in front of the TV all day.  However, I do find it fulfilling to listen to the news as I get ready each morning. And I absolutely need Desperate Housewives on Sunday nights, at least for this season (the very last season... *single tear*). And if you've spent any time with me at my home, you'll know that I CAN NOT HAVE PURE SILENCE. The TV is always on, even if just for background noise. I might drive myself crazy otherwise.

You can imagine my disappointment when I found out that no channels come in on my tv, not even with a fancy-schmancy digital antenna. I have never before chosen to have cable. Ever. Never ever. It's my principle. You can also imagine my disgust when I first shopped around for cable prices ($40 a month just so I can watch the news in the morning? No thank you!). I refuse to get cable.

So I returned the fancy-schmancy antenna to Target and I've found other ways to occupy myself. Pandora radio, for example... A miraculous feat of online engineering with which I've lost touch over the past few months. And then there's the archives of the Dave Ramsey radio show. Nothing like stimulating the financial half of your brain for several hours a day.

So thats become my life. At the ripe young age of 24, I spend my evenings sitting at home, alone with my daughter, eating soup and listening to financial advice from Dave Ramsey. I'm soooo cool. I've been Ramsey-ized, though. I now spend my days working out my financial future (something I absolutely love doing, by the way!), and I'm working on a 5-yr plan to rid myself of all debt (yep, including those blasted student loans). So I can move.

So I can move somewhere like Oregon.

Or Fiji.


Or Ireland.

Or Guatemala.

Or Greece.

Okay, okay... Maybe that's not exactly realistic. But according to Dave, becoming debt-free IS realistic! But I digress. The point is, I refuse to pay for cable. I refuse. Even if that means a lifetime of listening to talk-radio. But I eventually want my basic channels. Anyone have any advice?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Lanie.
    Get debt free and move to Greece? I like the irony.
    Guatemala's pretty cool, I've been there.
    PS If you need any free financial advice on IRAs and 401(k)s, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch youtube mom's....I really think you would like Katulka2 (youtube name) she is a natural momma :0) Also, TheBubblelush, candidmommy, Imformationmommy, & Naturallythrifymom those are just some of my favorite momma's I watch on a regular basis, the youtube mom community is awesome! One more if you want to watch an amazing and oh so entertaining family check out the Shaytards, they used the Dave Ramsey "method" are are debt free making a killing off youtube videos (hmm maybe a career change for you & Sol! :) ha!I'd watch!) I find myself hardly ever watching T.V. anymore

    ReplyDelete