Wednesday, February 29

REVELATIONS OF MATERNITY LEAVE

I'm loving maternity leave.  While it's amazing to not have to go into work every day (for countless reasons), this transition period isn't exactly a piece of cake.  All of a sudden I've got a little roommate.  And she's a noisy roommate at that.  And MES-SY.  And I'm stuck in my apartment, unless I want to pack up half of my belongings just to tote my 10-lb roommate to the grocery store.  The mind wanders when one is sentenced to six-plus weeks of confinement with a new baby.  So I'm low on sleep, low on food (due to lack of opportunity, not due to lack of food supply, by the way), and unsure of what's keeping me chugging along.  But I'm still managing to learn a few things along the way. 

Below, 20 revelations of maternity leave:
  1. Sleeping in?  Not a chance.  Sleeping for longer than 4 hours?  Unheard of.
  2. It's perfectly acceptable to stay in my pajamas until 4pm or until someone knocks on the door, whichever comes first.
  3. When I do get dressed (in my first outfit of the day), I try to make sure it's nothing special.  I WILL be forced to change my outfit as the day progresses.
  4. It's absolutely paramount that some store (preferably Target) figure out a way to offer a "third arm for the new mom" on their baby registry. I would sign up. 
  5. It's better to live in town, as opposed to in the boonies.  Because I live in town, I live close to stores.  I live close to Target.  It's easy to go to Target weekly... okay, a couple times a week... okay, every other day.  (Note: I neither work for Target, nor am I in any way affiliated with the company.)
  6. The Trade Home store in the mall (also right around the corner) gets its weekly shipment on Wednesdays at 3pm.  The manager's name is Ryan.  And no, there's really no good reason for anyone to know that.
  7. Watching Maury Povich for 5 minutes is entertaining.  Watching it for any longer than that makes me feel like I belong on the show.
  8. The commercials on daytime network TV are very specifically targeted.  Targeted to people who sit at home all day long ("alternative" universities, social security attorneys, how to prevent slip-and-fall accidents, etc.).
  9. Daytime TV sucks.
  10. DVDs come in handy.
  11. Michael Scott never gets old.  The Office is amazing.
  12. I'm not sure which is worse: being alone all day, or being alone all day with a crying baby.  The jury's still out on that one.
  13. 4pm: The Ellen DeGeneres show. Makes my day. Especially with contests like the "Dance Dare" (in the videos here and here).
  14. I can never spend too much time writing emails to the Ellen show.
  15. Regardless of how many times I tell myself at 3am that I WILL BE TAKING A NAP THE NEXT DAY, I almost never do.
  16. Sisters are wonderful.  Neighbors are wonderful too :)
  17. There is literally no time more precious than the time I spend cuddling with my baby.
  18. I can't do everything that I want to do.  My apartment is a mess, and I don't care.  I'm a new single mom.  If you don't like it, you can leave.
  19. Faith can take you places.  It's gotten me this far.
  20. Regardless of how irritated/frustrated/etc I feel at 3am, I refuse to let it take over me.  I will never allow myself to forget that I chose this.  I chose the sometimes-screaming, oftentimes-crying, living, breathing bundle of sunshine in my arms.  I will never regret choosing her.  Not even at 3am.  Not last night, not tonight, not tomorrow night.  She will always be the best decision I ever made.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie,
    I love reading your blogs! You make me smile and draw a little tear on occasion. I so wish I could be there to visit, bring you a meal or just take over for an hour or two so you can get out of the house. I know the first few weeks are tough but this to shall pass. Soon (hopefully) she'll be in a routine and before you know it you'll be waking up at 3 am wondering why she's still sleeping and you'll check her to see if she's still breathing. Hang in there Sweetie! I can't wait to meet that beautiful little bundle of Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete