Tuesday, February 7

HERE COMES THE SUN (HUM ALONG IF YOU LIKE)

It's been almost a week since my last post. And it's been a whirlwind few days.  All last week was spent in long walks, jalapeno peppers and other spicy foods, five (yes, FIVE) jumping jacks, an encounter with castor oil, and even three frozen Tyson chicken strips (although I'm a devout vegetarian). After trying every trick in the "old wives' manual," it turned out that patience was the key.

It's a girl!  The wait is over :)  My baby was born on a Thursday. I went into the hospital at 10am, started pushing around 8pm, and we met Solaya ("Sol" for short) at 9:05pm.  I was actually lucky enough to be able to reach down as she entered the world and pull her up on my chest with my own two hands, "delivering" her myself.  It was the most wonderful experience in the world.  On February 2, 2012, my world was flipped around when Solaya entered it. 

Many have asked where the name came from.  Sol is Spanish for "sun" and Laya is Sanskrit for "peace of mind." I liked both so much that I squished the two together to create Solaya.  (And because I know you're probably wondering, Solaya is pronounced "so-lie-yah.") Haven has no special connection aside from the fact that it's just a beautiful word with a beautiful meaning: "a place of refuge or rest." And Hammond?  It's a family name.  Since sharing the news of my pregnancy, I've received overwhelming support from my family, and it seemed imperative that I integrate Hammond into Sol's name.

My little Sol is absolutely the best and most beautiful thing that's ever happened to me.  And as passionate as I am for writing, I can't seem to find sufficient words to describe just how amazing this little person is.  As cliche as it sounds, I literally can't imagine my life without my beautiful daughter.

It doesn't matter whether it's 2pm or 2am: every single time I look at her, I remind myself that I chose this.  I chose her.  It hasn't even been a week yet, and Sol is my entire world.  I think of the days where I felt sad and lonely, and it seems totally pointless.  I was worried about this?  For what reason?  No, it's not easy getting two hours of sleep at a time.  And no, it's not easy reversing the orbit of your entire world for a little human.  But she's totally worth it. 

From the very beginning, every single time I went to one of my OB appointments, it rained (even in December/January).  It was always cloudy and rainy, sometimes stormy, and once there was even a tornado while I was at the office.  It almost seemed like a sign: this pregnancy was supposed to be dreary. 
It seems too perfect, then, that my pregnancy ended with the arrival of my sunshine: my little Sol.  My sister Liz said, "All those rainy days, who knew there was sunshine underneath it all!" Yep, here comes the sun.  And my future with her looks spectacularly bright.

1 comment: