Don't get me wrong, there are things I miss about being pregnant:
- Now that I'm no longer sporting the baby bump, I can't park in the bright pink "expectant mother" parking spots anymore (well, I could, but last time I parked there when I wasn't pregnant, I ended up with a positive pregnancy test shortly after. Karma, anyone?).
- I miss getting more than 3 hours of sleep at a time. My girl likes to party all the time (at night, anyway). Yes, Sol sleeps - but during the day. She certainly keeps me on my toes at 3, 4, and 5 in the morning.
- I actually miss the crazy dreams. Mine are pretty boring now - no magic cilantro paste that can save me from the dinosaur-sized horses at my cousin's outdoor wedding (yes, that was a real dream).
- I miss going to a public event and sitting wherever I please. Now, I sit near the back or near an exit and spend 95% of the event scanning the room, "scoping out logistics."
- I miss using my purse. It's only been 3 weeks and I've given up on the purse thing. Now, my purse is the diaper bag. I'm a mom.
- I miss "I'm just gonna run in really quick." There's no such thing as that anymore.
- I miss being able to prepare food when I'm hungry. I miss having time to sit down and eat something. Today, for example, I ate breakfast at 1:49pm - after waking up, bathing Sol, dressing Sol, feeding Sol, getting dressed, going to a new member class at church, attending the church service that followed, coming home, feeding Sol (again), bathing her (again), and dressing her (again). And that "breakfast?" It consisted of a tossed salad, straight out of the package. Yum.
- I miss Baby B dancing around in my belly. I miss lying in bed, feeling Baby B kicking, and wondering whether it was a boy or a girl, or what he/she would look like.
- I miss the anticipation of D-day.
- First and foremost, I love waking up to a little bundle named Solaya. While I miss the anticipation of meeting my baby for the first time, I love knowing her. I love knowing this little person who depends totally and completely on me.
- I love having an appetite. Near the end of my pregnancy, I remember telling my mom that I couldn't remember the last time I actually felt hungry. I was either sick, stricken with heartburn, or just plain full. Now I'm hungry all the time. And given my affinity for eating a tremendous amount of food, I couldn't be happier.
- I love taking Sol out in public and having people "ooh" and "aah" over her. Yeah, she's wonderful :)
- I love the fact that I can fit my feet into my shoes again. I almost can't believe just how swollen my legs and feet became. FACT: I couldn't even fit my feet into my winter boots at 9 months pregnant. Below is photo evidence of aforementioned swelling:
- Above all, I love looking back on my pregnancy and realizing just how wrong I was. I was wrong with every bout of sobbing, every time I felt alone, every time I thought I couldn't handle this. I had no idea how much support I would have, or just how much my friends and family would love Sol. I think about the man who told me that no one would love my child because no one would be happy that I was pregnant. I think about how wrong he was. I feel sorry for him. Every time I look at my daughter, I think of how much he's missing. I get to enjoy this beautiful girl all day, every day. Nothing can top that. She's my whole world.
|9 months pregnant|
|2 weeks into mommyhood|