Monday, January 2

BREAKING NEWS

I wrote a letter to my friends and family this past August - a letter in which I broke the news that I was expecting a baby.  I come from a small town where juicy rumors spread quickly, and although I now live in a larger city on the other side of the state, I knew I still needed to share the news myself.  I wanted my loved ones to hear it from me rather than from some other source.  Here's what was sent out:
To my family:                            
 
I’m writing this letter to my nearest and dearest.  I’ve got some big news, and it’s best that you all hear at the same time—and that you hear from me instead of through the proverbial grapevine.

I’m expecting a baby!  I’ve recently shared this news with my mom and dad, my sisters and brothers-in-law, and my grandmas.  After telling my immediate family, I wanted all of you to be the first to know.  My due date is January 30, so Baby Bierlein will be arriving in just under 5 months!

I’m sad to say that the baby’s father will probably not be in the family picture.  Obviously, I never expected to be on a journey like this—and there will be struggles—but I know it will be easier with the help of my amazing family.  I know they will surround me (and Baby Bierlein) with unconditional love and tremendous support as I raise this child on my own.  They have already showered me with love and support, and for that I’m so very grateful.

You’re receiving this letter because you’re very special to me.  I know that this is probably not what you had hoped for me.  And although I’m nervous and scared to be headed down this road on my own, I’m also excited to be bringing a baby into the world.  No matter the circumstances, a baby is a miracle and a blessing, and my family and I are going to celebrate this baby’s life.  We give thanks to God for the gift—a surprise indeed, but nevertheless a wonderful surprise.  Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.  It’s not going to be an easy journey, and Baby and I will be needing lots of well-wishes, loving thoughts, and support from our family. 
 
I love you all dearly, and I’m happy to share this news with you.  Every day, I’m more and more thankful for my wonderful family.  You’re all so special to me, and I thank God for each of you. 
The responses from the letter were absolutely remarkable - phone calls, text messages, cards, and emails overflowing with unconditional love, support, and encouragement.  Looking back, I can't imagine how things would have gone if I hadn't written the letter that brought on such an amazing response from my family and friends. 

I couldn't deny that people loved me, and they loved my baby too.  And although I was still terrified, disappointed in myself, and angry at my boyfriend who had chosen to walk away, I suddenly realized that I wasn't alone in this.  I would never be alone, and I would always be loved.  I was on my way to happiness.

6 comments:

  1. Baby Bierlein is lucky to have such a strong and loving mother. Raising a child will be hard but your family/friends will be a great support system. My advise to you as a new mother is to not be afraid to ask for help! No one can do every thing on there own. Enjoy these last few weeks before baby arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok another AMAZING blog. You got it right you will never be alone. The love all of us feel for you & the baby will carry you threw anything. The love God has will Grace you & the baby. As for the father... he is missing out on a AMAZING women & a BEAUTIFUL baby. His loss not yours. You are going to be a WONDERFUL MOMMY !!!!!!!. Love you Mel & baby ,
    Love, Grammie Wanless ≈}

    ReplyDelete
  3. This baby will bring more joy and love in your life Melanie than you can imagine. I believe a year from now you will not remember what your life was before.
    This baby will be loved by many and very lucky to have such a wonderful mother.
    Believe me when I tell you this ,there is nothing more precious than having your own child. Love Aunt Margo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears are a flowing! You are amazing Mel!! Both inside and out! Baby B is so lucky to have such a wonderful inspiring Mommy!! You can do this, I have NO doubt in my mind! Can not wait to meet Baby B!! Xoxo! Love you! ~Jasmine~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put, Margo. This baby will light up Melanie's life and ours too! And you are right...the hard times will someday be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last 'anonymous' comment was mine. Grammie Cheryl

    ReplyDelete